News from our little tool to monitor the App Store for featured entries: Thanks to Dominik Wagner from TheCodingMonkeys, the script to scrape App Store Featuring entries gained a noticeable speed bump. Using multi threading it now completes in 16 seconds, down from 36 seconds!
The script detects the following featured entries and prints them in one line per country:
- TOP STAGE: App or Game of the Week, aka winning the lottery jackpot
- Home page: mentioned somewhere on the root level homepage, including the Top 10 rankings
- New and Noteworthy page: This is more or less identical to the home page. Depending on the country, the extra page may contain some more apps.
- What’s Hot page
- Any other page linked the same way (with selection box on the homepage)
- Category page: mentioned somewhere on the category page, including the Top 10 rankings
- Category “New”
- Category “What’s Hot”
How to call the script
To start the script you just need the iTunes ID of the app, the category and “iPhone” or “iPad” depending on which store you want to check:
./iTunesFeatured.pl 314785156 Navigation iPhone 09.08.2011 AE App Store: Home page, Staff Favourites Navigation: Home p… 09.08.2011 AR App Store: Home page, Staff Favourites Navigation: Home p… 09.08.2011 AT App Store: TOP STAGE, Home page Navigation: Home page
The output is structured as a tab-delimited text with columns for date, country, root level mentions and category mentions. This makes it easy to import the output into a spreadsheet, database or anything else.
Download iTunes FeaturedCheck on GitHub.
Update 07.11.2012: Fixed an issue after a recent iTunes change