After more than one year of work we’re proud to launch Where To? 7.0 on the App Store today. It’s the biggest update ever in the history of the app. We completely restructured and redesigned the user interface – not only for the current iOS 7 but also with the upcoming iOS 8 in mind.
When we started developing this version we knew we wanted more than just some iOS 7 polish and an all-flat interface. Instead we sat down and reimagined the complete user experience of the app. We wanted the map to be more prominent, so it’s now visible almost everywhere, especially in the details of a listing. So you never lose focus of the location.
Various sophisticated animations, for instance when dealing with the new category wheel, add up to a more fluid and pleasing user experience.
Seeing is better than reading so check out the video:
If you’ve used Where To? 6 before, you’ll agree that this is almost a complete new app. And this is what we have done on the App Store: After five years of free updates Where To? 7 comes as a paid update. That means: Existing users need to purchase the new app again. To accommodate all our loyal users (and the early birds!), Where To? 7 is available for $1.99 during an introductory period of two weeks. After that the price will go up to the standard $2.99. To make the transition as smooth as possible, all favorites and settings are of course synced over to the new app.
But now let’s get to the good stuff. We not only redesigned the whole user interface but also added some great new features:
- Details: The details page is now seamlessly integrated with the map. That means the map is now always visible, at least in part.
- Separation of Reviews and Photos: Now there are three tabs on details pages: “Details”, “Reviews” and “Photos”. It’s not required to open a sub page anymore. The new photos browser gives more room to the photos with larger thumbnails.
- New list view: In list views, single items can be swiped to the left to display contextual buttons. Categories and place results can be marked as favorites. For place results directions can now be opened more quickly.
- BMW ConnectedDrive: Where To? now also works together with BMW along with Mercedes-Benz and Audi. The place information can now be sent to BMW ConnectedDrive to transfer it easily to the BMW dashboard. The cumbersome manual adding of destinations in the onboard navigation system is gone.
- Pebble smart watch: Where To? is compatible with Pebble smart watches. The free Where To? companion app† for Pebble must be installed. Then the watch displays the direction and distance to the destination. The iPhone can be kept in the pocket while going to the destination.
† available soon, after a required Pebble firmware update is published.
- New sharing option: Found places could always be shared via text message, Facebook, Twitter or email. When sharing via email the address is now attached as a Vcard to easily import it. If the recipient also has an iPhone destinations can now be sent using AirDrop as well.
Comments are closed.