Where To? 6.0: Popular iPhone local search app with vastly improved directions!
Is there a pharmacy, a pediatrician, a Greek restaurant or a campground nearby? If yes, the app „Where To?“ finds it quickly. The local search tool works around the globe. More than 2,400 search queries in 700 lines of business are predefined. The new version 6.0 offers directions to the destination. The user can choose from car, bike or pedestrian routing.
In a nutshell:
- Major Update: Where To? 6.0
- Finds 2,400 brands in more than 700 categories
- Results are shown on the map, in a list or using Augmented Reality
- Photos, reviews, dinner menus and business hours are listed
- NEW: directions are integrated in the app
- NEW: car, bike or pedestrian routing
- NEW: the number of supported external navigation apps has been doubled
- NEW: destinations can be sent to the on board navigation system of the Audi A3
- Price: $2.99 (+99¢ for Augmented Reality)
- Link: http://www.futuretap.com/whereto
“Where To?” is the app of choice to quickly find the next steak house, bank branch or supermarket in the vicinity. Without having to ask locals “Where To?” offers immediate orientation in an unknown area. More than 2,200 search queries in 700 categories are available.
“Where To?” appeals with its thoughtful app navigation. In a circular selection menu the app offers categories such as “Food & Drink”, “Entertainment”, “Travel & Transport” or “Health & Medical”. After selecting one, the app displays a list of subcategories – all without any typing. Shaking the iPhone selects a surprise category.
The results of a search can be displayed on a map or summarized in a list sorted by distance. For each result there is a detailed information page. It displays contact data, pictures and business hours and collects ratings and reviews by other users. A little arrow points to the direction of the destination.
“Where To?” manages favorite places and categories, synchronizes settings via iCloud and using the add-on “Where To? 3D Augmented Reality” (0.99$, 30 days free trial) it displays nearby results in the live picture of the iPhone camera.
“Where To?” 6.0 with more versatile directions
Version 6.0 takes care of the question: How to get from the current location to the next Indian restaurant, airport, hospital or theater that “Where To?” just found? With this in mind, version 6.0 expands on the directions support:
- Directions integrated in the app: From now on, step-by-step directions are built in. The user selects whether the directions should be calculated for car drivers, bikers or pedestrians.
- Sharing of directions via email: The calculated directions can be shared from the app via email – to friends, for instance, that are starting from the same place.
- Newly designed navigation apps selection: directions apps by third party vendors are listed in two parts, the installed apps at the top, followed by other apps from the App Store suitable for the location.
- Added navigation apps: In the past, “Where To?” already supported a large number of third party apps such as Navigon, TomTom, Sygic, MotionX GPS drive, Waze, Telenav, Navfree and many others. In version 6.0, the number of supported apps has been doubled. The newly added apps include “Garmin”, “CoPilot Live”, “Geobyte UK“ and “Skobbler Navi2+” for car navigation. To plan a route using public transport the apps “Transit“ (US, Canada), “Embark iBart” (San Francisco), “HopStop” (US, Canada, London, Paris, Moscow), “Journey Pro” (UK), “DB Navigator” (Germany), “SNCF TER” (France), “Locomotimes” (Italy), “SBB Mobile” (Switzerland), “ÖV Planer“ (Germany), “Schweizer Transport” (Switzerland), “Qando” (Vienna) and “FahrInfo Hamburg” are now supported. The complete list is available at http://www.futuretap.com/support/#w2-directions
- Transfer of locations into the Audi A3 on board navigation system: The new version of “Where To?” is able to send a destination to the navigation system of the new Audi A3 introduced last month (supplementary equipment required). On the iPhone, the “Audi MMI connect” app is required (currently only available in Germany).
Ortwin Gentz, head of FutureTap: “Our app not only displays locations in the vicinity but also actively helps to get there. We’ve been working with numerous third party app makers in the past but our cooperation with Audi takes it to a new level: The fact that we can communicate with a car was unthinkable before.”
“Where To?” 6.0: Available now on the App Store
“Where To?” 6.0 (17.3 MB) is available for download for $2.99 US on the App Store under the “Navigation” category. Users of the previous version get the update free of charge. The “Where To? 3D” Augmented Reality module may be tested free of charge for 30 days and can subsequently be unlocked via In App Purchase ($0.99 US).
“Where To?” has been selected by Apple as iPhone App of the Week (8/11) and is the winner of the “Best App Ever Awards” 2008, 2009 and 2010 in the category “Best Travel App”. In “iTunes Rewind”, Apple selected the app under the five best navigation apps in 2011.
Offer to the Press: If you’re interested in reviewing Where To? we’ll gladly provide a promo code on request.