Where To? 7.0: iPhone local search app completely redesigned – at launch 33% off!
Where To?, the long-standing, popular local search app gets a large update. The user interface was completely rewritten and optimized for iOS 7 and 8. It is a paid update: existing users benefit from a 14 day introductory period and may get the new app for $1.99 instead of $2.99.
What’s going on here? If in need to know where the next optician, the next deli, or the next car wash is located the iPhone app Where To? can help.
The app determines the location via GPS and lets the user choose from more than 2,200 search queries in more than 700 categories. In an instant the app lists all matches nearby. The results are visualized on a map or in a list sorted by distance.
First, the circular selection menu aids in selecting the main category for the search. Then, the user can drill down to the desired category with just a few taps. For each result the app offers a data sheet with detailed information. It displays the address and phone number and – if known – the business hours, the dinner menus, the homepage as well as user ratings and reviews.
Where To? 7.0 – What’s new
A lot has been changed in the new Where To? app. The user interface in Where To? 7.0 has been completely restructured and redesigned not only for the current iOS 7 but also with the upcoming iOS 8 in mind.
The extensive work requires a paid update. That means: Existing users need to purchase the new app again. For existing users and early birds an introductory period of two weeks is offered. In this time frame the app is available for $1.99 (instead of $2.99).
The new features in summary:
- Details: The details page is now seamlessly integrated with the map. That means the map is now always visible, at least in part.
- Separation of Reviews and Photos: Now there are three tabs on details pages: “Details”, “Reviews” and “Photos”. It’s not required to open a sub page anymore. The new photos browser gives more room to the photos with larger thumbnails.
- New list view: In list views, single items can be swiped to the left to display contextual buttons. Categories and place results can be marked as favorites. For place results directions can now be opened more quickly.
- BMW ConnectedDrive: Where To? now also works together with BMW along with Mercedes-Benz and Audi. The place information can now be sent to BMW ConnectedDrive to transfer it easily to the BMW dashboard. The cumbersome manual adding of destinations in the onboard navigation system is gone.
- Pebble smart watch: Where To? is compatible with Pebble smart watches. The free Where To? companion app for Pebble must be installed. Then the watch displays the direction and distance to the destination. The iPhone can be kept in the pocket while going to the destination.
- New sharing option: Found places could always be shared via text message, Facebook, Twitter or email. When sharing via email the address is now attached as a Vcard to easily import it. If the recipient also has an iPhone destinations can now be sent using AirDrop as well.
Ortwin Gentz of app developer FutureTap: “We worked long and hard on version 7. We’re especially proud of the various sophisticated animations, for instance when dealing with the new category wheel. It all adds up to a more fluid and pleasing user experience.”
Where To? 7.0 available immediately on the App Store
Where To? 7.0 (20.5 MB) is now available for download on the App Store under the “Navigation” category. In the next two weeks it is available at the introductory price of $1.99. The normal price is $2.99. The old Where To? 6.7 product is discontinued and has been removed from sale. The free Pebble companion app will be available shortly, after a required Pebble firmware update is published.
“Where To?” has been selected by Apple as iPhone App of the Week and is the winner of the “Best App Ever Awards” in the category “Best Travel App” for several years in a row. Apple selected the app under the five best navigation apps in iTunes Rewind 2011.
Homepage including video: http://www.futuretap.com/whereto
App Store: http://itunes.apple.com/de/app/id903955898?mt=8
Press page with additional press information: http://www.futuretap.com/press/
Offer to the Press: If you’re interested in reviewing Where To? we’ll gladly provide a promo code on request.