Where To? 5.0: iPhone Local Search App Now With Favorites, Menus and iCloud Synchronization!
The local search app “Where To?” scans the vicinity and easily finds the next post office, the next Indian restaurant or a campground. Almost 3,000 local searches are predefined in the app. Version 5.0 once again extends the app’s feature set: selected results can be saved as favorites to find them later easily. If multiple iOS devices are in use, favorites and settings are automatically synced via iCloud. Furthermore, the app includes dinner menus for hundreds of thousands US restaurants.
In a nutshell:
- Major Update: Where To? 5.0
- Local search app for iPhone and iPod touch
- Finds 2,200 brands in more than 700 categories
- Results are shown on the map, in a list or using Augmented Reality
- Photos, reviews and business hours are listed
- NEW: Save favorite places for later
- NEW: Menus for hundreds of thousands US restaurants
- NEW: Synchronize favorites and settings via iCloud
- NEW: 3 more directions apps supported (iGo primo, VZ Navigator, Gokivo)
- Price: $2.99 (+99¢ for Augmented Reality)
- Link: http://www.futuretap.com/whereto
For searching the next steakhouse, the next bank branch or the next veterinarian, “Where To?” is the right companion. Using GPS, the iPhone app locates the current position and searches worldwide in more than 700 extensible categories and 2,200 brands.
The intuitive user interface helps to quickly find the desired category. Using the circular selection menu the user can choose from main categories such as “Food & Drink”, “Entertainment”, “Travel & Transportation” or “Health & Medical”. The submenu offers a detailed category selection. With just a few taps and without any typing the needed category can be selected quickly. If needed, shaking the device selects a random restaurant type.
“Where To?” reports all results in the vicinity and presents them on a map or in a list. In the list, the results are sorted by distance. The details page shows the contact data, photos, business hours as well as ratings, reviews and tips by other users. A little arrow guides to the driving or walking direction.
By the way: The extension “Where To? 3D – Augmented Reality” ($0.99 In App Purchase, 30 days free trial) visualizes places in the live picture of the iPhone camera.
“Where To?” 5.0 with favorites, iCloud and more directions apps
Version 5.0 is a major update with useful, new features:
– Save favorites for later: Whether the user has found the yummiest restaurant, the trustworthiest doctor or the most reliable car repair shop, he or she can easily save the result in the new favorite section. This way, places can be found later easily.
– Synchronization via iCloud: When using multiple Apple devices, favorites and settings are synced via iCloud: A favorite place, set on the iPhone, is automatically available on the iPod touch or another iPhone.
– Dinner Menus: By having an advance peek on a restaurant’s menu, one can easily judge whether the favorite food is being served and whether the price range is acceptable. Or when waiting to be seated, the hungry user can already make the choice.
– New details page with bottom toolbar: The place details page has been redesigned. A toolbar on the bottom contains the most often used actions like calling the phone number, adding to the address book, setting as favorite and sharing to friends and family. When sharing the place via email or Facebook, the recipient can now open the place right within “Where To?”.
– Support of new directions apps: How to reach the destination? — “Where To?” works closely together with turn-by-turn navigation apps and detects installed navigation apps on the user’s device. The new version adds support for directions apps “iGo primo”, “VZ Navigator” and “Gokivo” in addition to the existing support for “Navigon”, “TomTom”, “MotionX GPS drive“, “Sygic”, “Navmii”, “Navfree”, “Waze” and the builtin “Maps”. A preferred navigation app can now be selected that will be started when long-tapping the directions button.
Where To? 5.0 available immediately on the App Store
Where To? 5.0 (12 MB) is now available for download for $2.99 US on the App Store under the “Travel” category. Users of the previous version get the update free of charge.
The “Where To? 3D” Augmented Reality module may be tested free of charge for 30 days and can subsequently be unlocked via In App Purchase ($0.99 US).
“Where To?” has been selected by Apple as iPhone App of the Week (8/11) and is the winner of the “Best App Ever Awards” 2008, 2009 and 2010 in the category “Best Travel App”. In “iTunes Rewind”, Apple selected the app under the five best navigation apps in 2011.
Offer to the Press: If you’re interested in reviewing Where To? we’ll gladly provide a promo code on request.