This policy applies to all information collected or submitted in the Where To? app for iOS and watchOS and on the Where To? website (wheretoapp.com).
Information we collect
The App accesses the following privacy-relevant information, only if you grant the respective permission:
- Location: Where To? accesses your user location for the following features:
- to search for nearby places
- to display your current address
- to display the distance of places
- to provide directions
- to notify you when you enter or exit the vicinity of a place
- Contacts: If permitted, the App also searches for contact names when you enter a term in the search field. We only use the postal address of selected contacts to determine the location. No other contact information is accessed.
- Photos: The App can save place images in your photo library. You can also select an image from your photo library as an avatar image for your Where To? community account.
- Camera: You can take a picture with the camera as an avatar image for your Where To? community account.
- Bluetooth: The Where To? companion app for Pebble smart watches can display the direction and distance to the selected destination.
You can revoke any of these permissions at any time in the iOS Settings app (under “Privacy” or under “Where To?” at the root level).
The App accesses basic device information such as the model and the OS version, and the “vendor device identifier”. The value of this identifier is the same for apps that come from the same vendor (such as FutureTap) running on the same device. A different value is returned for apps on the same device that come from different vendors, and for apps on different devices regardless of vendor. We use this information to optimize the display of in-app notifications such as update alerts, eg. to display such alerts only once per device and version.
The App collects anonymous statistical information about interactions (such as views and clicks) with places.
Our server software also stores basic technical information, such as your IP address.
You may use the App anonymously. We will collect personal identification information from you only if you voluntarily submit such information to us, eg. if you create a Where To? community account. You can always refuse to supply personal identification information, except that it may prevent you from engaging in certain App related activities.
Where To? community
You can post ratings and reviews for places under a Where To? community account. To create a Where To? community account, you are asked for the name and a means of authentication:
- an iCloud authentication ID (recommended) or
- the email address and a password or
- the Facebook ID or
- the Twitter ID.
This authentication information is solely used for that purpose.
Facebook or Twitter authentication information is only used to authenticate the user. Social media profiles are not accessed except to fetch the name and avatar image.
When using iCloud authentication, the App only receives an ID and the name of the iCloud account.
No matter which means of authentication is used, the avatar image can be set or overridden by selecting a photo or taking a picture with the camera. By setting a custom avatar image, you consent that we store and publish this image.
When you post a review, the entered information is stored and published. Along with the review information we log your IP address and the timestamp. Since we don’t approve place reviews before publishing, we need this information in case of insults or illegal content to legally challenge the infringer.
Place edit suggestions
You can suggest edits to places in the App. The entered information including your IP address and the timestamp are collected and stored. If you provide an email address, we will notify you once the edit has been reviewed. Your email address will not be used for any other purposes.
Data usage and sharing
We use the collected information to operate and improve our website, apps, and customer support. We do not share your personal information with third parties other than as follows:
- With third-party vendors, consultants, and other service providers who work for us and need to access your personal information to do that work;
- if appropriate to (a) comply with laws or to respond to lawful requests and legal processes, including, for example, to comply with a court order or subpoena; (b) protect the rights, the property, and the safety of us, our agents, our customers, and others; (c) protect the safety and security of our and our partners’ services, websites, and applications;
- in connection with or during negotiation of any merger, financing, acquisition, bankruptcy, dissolution, transaction, or proceeding involving sale, transfer, divestiture, or disclosure of all or a portion of our business or assets for use in accordance with applicable law.
We may share anonymous, statistical information about place interactions with business partners.
Third party websites
Users may find sponsored results or other content in the App that links to the sites and services of our partners, suppliers, advertisers, sponsors, licensors and other third parties. We do not control the content or links that appear on these sites and are not responsible for the practices employed by websites linked to or from our App. In addition, these sites or services, including their content and links, may be constantly changing. These sites and services may have their own privacy policies and customer service policies. Browsing and interaction on any other website, including websites which have a link to our App or our website, is subject to that website’s own terms and policies.
We implement a variety of security measures to help keep your information secure. For instance, communication with the app and website uses HTTPS. Passwords are hashed, not stored, using industry-standard methods.
Period for which the personal data will be stored
We store and process personally identifiable data only for the period necessary to achieve the purpose of storage, or as far as this is granted by the European legislator or other legislators in laws or regulations to which the controller is subject to. If the storage purpose is not applicable, or if a storage period prescribed by the European legislator or another competent legislator expires, the personal data is routinely blocked or erased as long as it is no longer necessary for the fulfillment or the initiation of a contract.
Right to access, erasure (Right to be forgotten)
You have the right granted by the European legislator to obtain free information about your personal data stored at any time and a copy of this information as well as the right to rectify, block or erase this data. To exercise any of these rights or for any questions concerning personally identifiable information you may write us via our contact form or email .
Your acceptance of these terms
By using this App, you signify your acceptance of this policy. If you do not agree to this policy, please do not download our App. Your continued use of the App following the posting of changes to this policy will be deemed your acceptance of those changes.
This document was last updated on May 23, 2018